Interstate and International Drivers


If you’re a permanent Australian resident or hold a permanent visa under the Commonwealth Migration Act 1958, and you intend to stay in NSW, you are not considered to be a visitor. As such, you are allowed to drive in NSW on a current overseas licence for a maximum of three months. After that, you will need to apply for a NSW licence to continue driving or riding.

If you do not hold permanent Australian residency, but will be in NSW for more than 3 months, you can be issued with a Temporary Overseas Visitor licence.

New Zealand licence holders, regardless of whether you are a permanent or temporary resident, must obtain a NSW licence within three months of living in NSW or you must stop driving.

You need to meet age requirements to be issued with a NSW licence. You must be at least 16 years for a learner driver licence, 16 years and 9 months for a learner rider licence and 17 years for a provisional driver or rider licence.

Your overseas licence will be taken into account when you apply for a NSW licence, and once you have passed any required tests, the NSW licence is issued in line with the NSW Graduated Licensing Scheme. You will need to meet the requirements to progress through each stage.

If you are transferring your interstate and overseas learner licence, you will be exempt from the 120 hours log book requirements if you pass the Driving Test.

However, if you fail the test, you will be issued with a NSW learner licence and be required to hold your licence for 12 months (if under 25 years of age) and complete 120 hours of log book practice (including 20 hours of night driving) before a further test can be attempted.

The RMS will recognise any log book hours recorded in your home state provided appropriate documentation is presented.

Holders of overseas licences who want to convert to an Australian licence are exempt from all above-mentioned requirements regardless of their age.

If your licence is not in English, you will need an official translation before taking a test with the RMS. Overseas driver’s licences can be translated at the Community Relations Commission for a Multicultural NSW.
Sydney Office: Level 8, 175-184 Castlereagh Street, Sydney NSW 2000